With an exceptionally outstanding pass rate, the Birmingham Tuition Centre aims to aid students in reaching their full potential and to achieve high academic success. We provide a quality service, which incorporates all core subjects:
Mathematics | English | Biology | Chemistry | Physics
We aim to give students life skills as well as academic skills so that when coupled together, students find the ability to reason and work through many challenges academic and otherwise.
The tutors at Birmingham Tuition Centre are specialists in their fields, who amalgamate productive help, support and creative teaching methods whilst integrating technology to ensure that concepts are delivered with precision.
At Birmingham Tuition Centre, we establish close and effective links with parents and provide regular feedback on the student’s progress. We value the importance of enabling each individual to overcome the hurdles which may hinder their progress.
The centre has been given examination centre status from AQA, Edexcel, OCR & WJEC.
Students can therefore sit and re-sit examinations in any subject.
At the Birmingham Tuition Centre, we pride ourselves on our high expectations and aim to:
• Enable each pupil to exceed their potential.
• Provide outstanding teaching that maximizes each and every learning opportunity.
• Provide a secure, supportive, encouraging, challenging and stimulating learning environment.
• Enhance attitudes and values together with skills and knowledge.
• Develop high-esteem, confidence and motivation.
We conduct ourselves with the utmost professionalism considering ourselves to be one of key counterparts of students’ educational success.
At Birmingham Tuition Centre we provide tuition in Mathematics for students of all ages, from Key Stage 1 Numeracy, GCSE to A-level modules and Undergraduate study. Based on the abilities of the student, we can provide an individually tailored programme to equip them with the skills they need, in particular:
- Appreciating how mathematics applies to real life situations.
- Understanding their ability progression and how to attain higher grades.
- To assist students in developing fully their mathematical knowledge and skills and to help raise their mathematical confidence.
- To provide a well-resourced dedicated facility to aid the mathematical needs of students from all disciplines.
With every child the focus will be on different aspects of maths but we are fully prepared and have experienced staff to cater for all areas that children might need to develop.
At Birmingham Tuition Centre we value our parents’ comments as this allows us to build on our strengths and improve our weak areas.
My math’s tutor was easy to talk to and work with. He took a genuine interest in my Maths GCSE and I achieved an A* grade in year 9. I then moved on to get tuition in AS maths and achieved a grade A. I will continue my study with Birmingham Tuition Centre and at the end of year 11, I will leave school having completed Maths GCSE as well as my A-level Maths.
At the Birmingham Tuition Centre, we offer tuition in both English Language and Literature, helping pupils to not only develop and consolidate core skills but also enabling them to excel further to exceed their potential. All our English courses are personalised to the needs of the pupils and allow ample room for regular monitoring and assessment.
There is an array of English Language and Literature skills that are developed and consolidated at the tuition centre:
- Sound grammatical knowledge to aid correct formation of sentences.
- Accurate punctuation application to assist meaning in a written text.
- Correct organisation of a written text using paragraphs and discourse markers.
- Development of vocabulary and its application in its appropriate context.
- Reading comprehension practice to enable meaningful understanding of a text.
- Practice of writing texts of different genres and formats.
- Understanding both technical and figurative techniques used in non-fictional texts.
- Writing a detailed evaluation and analysis of a written text.
- Exploration of writer’s techniques and methods.
- Understanding of writers’ demographics and political restrictions and the application of how this may shape the act of writing.
- Understanding of figurative and technical language.
- Exploration of characters and themes inherent in texts
- Practice of writing a grade A* literature essay.
- Understanding poetical techniques and methods and consider their ideas, themes, issues, form, structure, language (including sound and imagery).
- Understanding meaning of poems whilst considering their contextual time period.
- Students will learn to approach Literature and be able to make engaged personal responses to texts.
- Students will learn to organise information clearly and coherently, using specialist vocabulary when relevant.
- Make comparisons and explain links between texts, evaluating writers’ different ways of expressing meaning and achieving effects.
We offer KS2, KS3, GCSE and A-level English courses and all courses are tailored to the demands of examination boards and to the needs of pupils. Please arrange a consultation with the English tutor for any queries you may have regarding the content of the course and texts or poems you may need to study.
Chemistry enables us to answer many of the curiosities of how the world works and why it behaves the way it does. It helps students to develop problem solving and analytical skills that they can translate into a variety of other subjects and even everyday life.
There is a range of skills that are developed during GCSE and A level chemistry at the tuition centre:
- Observational, practical, modeling, enquiry and problem-solving skills.
- Grasp of how hypotheses, evidence, theories and explanations work together.
- Ability to evaluate claims using scientific methods.
- Skills in communication, maths and the use of technology in scientific contexts.
- Awareness of risk and the ability to assess and weigh risk against potential benefits.
Alongside this, a fascinating and thought provoking content is taught in line with the up to date specification of GCSE and A level chemistry, respectively, including:
- The nature of substances and how they react together.
- How chemistry is used in business and industry.
- How our use of raw materials in fuels and manufacturing can affect the global and local environment.
- Understanding of how Chemistry can affect society and the environment.
Biology sits at the forefront of life sciences, reflecting the study of living organisms, incorporating understanding of species, human biology, plant biology and the environment. Not only does the subject provide a far reaching knowledge base, it provides technicalities that can be applied to a diverse range of careers. Careers with a key core of biology are too large to number, but vary in interest from Medicine to Biotechnology to Zoology. The aim of the GCSE based course, followed by the complete A-Level course, is to provide a core foundation in Biology, which will prepare the individual for the rigours of Higher Education and the careers that follow.
The GCSE qualification for Biology serves as a basis to truly introduce the student to the broad knowledge base required for the subject. This is highlighted by the diversity in topics taught and the depth by which these topics are tackled. The qualification acts as either a springboard for further education or provides the foundations expected of students from mainstream education. The curriculum provides far reaching coverage of the major aspects of human biology, plant biology and environmental biology. Alongside this, a portion is set aside for experiments and investigations used to further scientific understanding. The subject is assessed by examination and practical assessment.
The Biology A-Level provides greater depth for each topic covered in the GCSE strand of the subject, providing diversity and depth suitable for a myriad of university courses.
Physics is an important stepping stone to studying the subject, and others. It is a great preparation in giving students a broad knowledge of the science, and prepares them in what to expect at a higher level. Besides this it is an interactive subject in that it has quite a lot of “hands on” experiments, particularly those regarding electricity and circuits. Studying Physics allows one to appreciate the processes that one wouldn’t usually recognise that happen in the world every moment of every day.
The Physics GCSE aims to give students a basic background into the main physical principles, including:
- Waves and Energy,
- Nuclear Physics,
- Particle Physics,
- Mechanical Work,
- Sound and Light.
Topics included depend much upon the course and syllabus followed. Many GCSE courses involve a practical assessment which can often be a simple problem regarding, for example, an electrical circuit. Here, the student may have to plan an experiment to find the resistance of a wire, using basic lab equipment. After doing the experiment, they must calculate the answer from the data, draw conclusions and evaluate the reliability of the experiment.
Studying A-level Physics
Physics at A Level comprises significantly more mathematics than at GCSE, so your maths skills will need to be up to scratch. If not, you can buy books, or most colleges offer some support for students not taking Maths to A Level as well. The course starts at the basics and works up to some pretty tricky puzzles, such as working out collision speeds in an atom collider.
11 Plus/13 Plus
We have an excellent track record in preparing pupils for their 11 plus exam and our pupils have an outstanding record of gaining scholarships to grammar and independent schools and schools of their choice.
Pupils start our 11 plus course up to a year and a half prior to taking the exams.
All core skills of the 11 plus syllabus are taught and consolidated:
- Verbal Reasoning
- Non-Verbal Reasoning
The programme includes a three hour session on the weekends from 10:00am-1:30pm where Maths and Verbal Reasoning are taught from 10:00am-11:30am followed by a half an hour break and English and Non-Verbal reasoning in the last hour and half of the session. We have whole day tuition programmes from 9am – 3pm during the school holidays, in readiness for their exams. Weekly tests, homework and monitoring is undertaken to prepare pupils for the intensity of the actual 11plus examination and regular feedback is given to parents on progress. References can be provided for selected schools upon completion of the course of study.
We also offer creative writing courses that prepare pupils for independent school entry tests.
Tuition to prepare pupils for the 13 plus examination is also offered. This also includes Maths, English, Verbal Reasoning and Non-Verbal reasoning which cover:
- Comprehension practice of poems, fictional and non-fictional texts,
- Consolidation of grammatical knowledge,
- Figurative and metaphorical language revision,
- Key literary and language term revision,
- Practice in writing essays, creative compositions, poems, letters and articles.
We are also able to offer bespoke courses that are tailored not only to needs of the pupils but also to the demands of the examination that is to be taken.